We are looking for a Java developer to join the IT and Operations division and participate in building a strong and innovative technological architecture for the organisation. The Financial Applications team is dedicated to creating powerful front-ends and back-ends in a MicroServices architecture to meet the highest standards and fulfil business users' daily needs. The selected person will report to the Head of IT and Operations.
The European Stability Mechanism (“ESM”) is the crisis resolution mechanism for euro area countries. It provides financial assistance to euro area countries experiencing financing problems, and issues debt instruments to fund this financial support.
The ESM is a unique place to work with around 180 individuals committed to making a difference to the future of the euro area. It recruits talented professionals of all nationalities from both the private and public sector.
- Successfully engage with end-users to gather, analyse, and document business needs;
- Design and develop software solutions to best meet business needs;
- Write, optimise, and document source code, and participate in peer reviews;
- Create, document, and perform exhaustive unit-, non-regression-, and integration-tests;
- Actively contribute to and/or lead the improvement of internal processes;
- Work in close cooperation with the Project Manager and coordinate with other teams to deliver on assigned projects;
- Report on status, risks, and issues pro-actively, and propose solutions;
- Be part of the Scrum team, deliver user stories, take part in stand-up, backlog planning, Sprint review, and retrospective meetings;
- Keep up-to-date on technological changes and advances for the continuous improvement of services.
- The Financial Applications team is always scouting for state-of-the-art and future-proof solutions such as artificial intelligence, Big Data, Serverless/MicroServices architectures, Business Intelligence tools, etc.
Key Background & Experience
- Bachelor's degree or higher, preferably in computer science, engineering, physics, or mathematics
- Proven experience in a similar role, including relevant experience in Java development and project management
- Strong working proficiency in Java, SQL and HTML/XML
- Strong technical skills in operating systems (mainly Windows, Linux/Unix would be optional)
- Understanding of Visual Basic legacy code in order to support it and migrate it to Java
- Good understanding of software development methodologies
- Experience with development tooling, such as Version Control systems (e.g. GIT, Mercurial, or Subversion), build tools (e. g. Maven, Gradle, or Ant) and/or test automation (e. g. Selenium) would be an asset
- Experience in the financial services industry would be an asset, particularly in the capital markets area, and with trading systems such as Murex or Calypso. Knowledge of Apache Camel, Elastic Stack, Hadoop, Angular, Spring Boot would be an asset.
- A certification such as Project Management Waterfall, Agile, PMI/PMP, Prince2 or Scrum Alliance would be an asset
- Fluency in English required, additional languages would be an asset
- Ability to learn new concepts and software quickly
- Solution- and customer-orientation
- Excellent communication skills
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Team spirit and ability to work independently
- Pro-activity and reliability
Contract duration: 2- to 3-year fixed term contract, with possibility of extension
The ESM aims to provide equal opportunity to all candidates irrespective of their gender, nationality, age, race, culture, education, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or disability. To further enhance the diversity of our WorkForce, we particularly encourage women to apply.
Deadline for application: 16 April 2019