The Database and Application Systems specialist is responsible for ensuring optimal use of all Databases and related Application Systems and Content Management Systems functionality to support wide strategic goals, including the supervision, management, maintenance, development, implementation and troubleshooting of these systems.
- Manage and perform the day to day monitoring, maintenance, updating, support and troubleshooting of the Information Databases, Learning management Application Systems and Content Management Systems in close collaboration with the Database Administrator, IT Support Specialists, Network Administrator, IT Manager and other departments and staff.
- Responsible for all technical, system updates, helpdesk issues, fixes, and upgrades for Information Databases, Application Systems and Content Management Systems with the support of the IT Support, and Network Administrator as well as other database and systems users.
- Analyzes information needs of multiple users to assist in determining appropriate database application structures and report specifications.
- Provides database quality control; investigate and resolve Student Information Databases, Application Systems and Content Management Systems inconsistencies.
- Constructs database applications including procedures, modules, functions, automated events, and customized forms and reports.
- Responsible for Student Information Databases, Application Systems and Content Management Systems backup, security, and data protection in collaboration with the IT Manager and Head of Operations.
- Responsible for maintaining backup protocols of Information Databases, Application Systems and Content Management Systems including manual in case of an emergency;
- Oversee the integration/streamlining of Information Databases, Application Systems and Content Management Systems with other systems for the purpose of maximizing the efficiency of the data flow and decreasing redundancy of data collection activities.
- Assist in establishing and enforcing standards, policies and procedures for the Information Databases, Application Systems and Content Management Systems;
- Manage and coordinate professional development training and support for Information Databases, Learning Management System, Application Systems and Content Management Systems to key stakeholders;
- Provide help-desk services for user issues within the Information Databases, Application Systems and Content Management Systems;
- Monitor access rights to ensure that data is secure;
Profile (training, experience, skills and aptitudes necessary to do the job)
- Bachelor's degree or successful equivalent work experience in Computer Science or Management Information Systems;
- Three to five years of successful work experience in Database and Application Systems development, management, troubleshooting and maintenance;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills especially for data protection data quality and data interfaces;
- Able to develop DB scripting languages such as T-SQL, SQL;
- Working knowledge of Web technologies including HTML, PHP, ASP;
- Extensive knowledge of ETL (Extract-Transform-Load) using Excel and/or SSIS
- Windows 2012-2016 server and SQL Server 2012 and 2016 server knowledge
- Deep knowledge in Student Information System, Learning Management System and interactions between these systems is an asset;
- Skilled in interacting with end users, successful experience in explaining use of technology to non-technical staff;
- Solid understanding of the principles of database management and business process WorkFlow;
- Experience and understanding of relational database design, optimization, and troubleshooting;
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with high degree of accuracy and attention to detail;
- Work independently and collaboratively to accomplish responsibilities, goals and projects;
- Excellent knowledge of English (French or German language proficiency is helpful) with demonstrated proficiency in communication and interpersonal skills;
- Experience in converting complex instructions into database actions and user actions;
- Successful work experience with a wide variety of stakeholders (including non-technical staff) in multicultural setting.
- Knowledge of Isams, Schoology, Seesaw, SQL Server, T-SQL, SSIS, and SSRS is an advantage.
Characteristics (personality, traits necessary to successfully do the job)
- Be passionate and enthusiastic about technology, database, data quality, and end-users' experiences;
- Be innovative in work and takes initiative;
- Be responsible for own learning and well-being: value continuous learning, collaborative work, self-reflection, and resiliency;
- Be confident and motivated in working with students, parents and colleagues: build and maintain partnership;
- Be pro-active, well-organized and discreet;
- Be adaptable to a wide range of situations, work independently as well as part of a collaborative team;
- Be an effective communicator by reading, writing, speaking and listening confidently and reflectively as well as asking questions appropriately;
- Be committed to the health, safety & security of children, including child protection issues;
- Demonstrate ethical behavior in and out of the School;
- Be a contributor to the World, culturally sensitive, and display care, empathy and consideration for others.